SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interior Lighting Plan
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Chris

I don't think you can really go by lumens. I think you are better off looking at the fixtures in a good marine store or catalog. You will want some dome types for over the table and galley and the reading type for the bulkheads above the settees. LED lights are expensive and I tried a few and didn't like them - they were too cold - actually made a fluorescent look warm. My reading lights are halogen and my dome lights are halogen or xenon. When I find nice LED bulbs I can change the bulbs. The brightness can be controlled with different size bulbs - 10 or 20 watt.

I have 2 5" dome lights, 1 above the table and 1 over galley stove. A 3" dome above the chart table/icebox. Small halogen above the head with the choice of red or white small LED beside it. The LEDs are actually designed for outdoor/bait tank use and are about 1" in diameter - they cost about $10 each. I have more above the galley and chart table, also both red and white on separate switches. Against the bulkhead back in the galley and chart table area I have LED strip lights, 8 bulbs each and a small LEd centered above the stove where the cabinet meets the cabin side. These 3 come on together and are bright enough to get a coffee by themselves.

Reading lights are above the settee on each side of the main bulkhead and aft on the bulkhead of the hanging locker. I replaced the 2 lights in the V-berth as well.
I also installed 2 of the 1" red LEDs in the starboard settee front low down and 1 on the cockpit foot well. I can light the whole boat in red except the V-berth for minimal draw and total cost was about $60.

I also have a blue/white adjustable chart light on a curly cord above the chart table.

It sounds like a lot of lights but I can turn on only the ones I wish at any time.

There are a few lights to go in lockers - probably inexpensive LEDs.

The only old fixture I kept was a fluorescent - I installed it above the engine.

Last edited by mitiempo; 08-03-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook