SailNet Community - View Single Post - bluewater cruising in Morgan 321?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2006
Neil

ntangri is on a distinguished road
bluewater cruising in Morgan 321?

Hi folks,

Iím considering buying a 1984 Morgan 321 thatís just come available. I would love to know your thoughts about the boat itself, its suitability, value, eventual resale valueÖthe whole gamut. Iím an experienced sailor (mostly tall ships, not little boats) but this would be the first boat Iíd own.

Iím looking for a boat for cruising -- initially coastal but wanting to go offshore. Ideally, Iíd like a boat that I could singlehand comfortably, although Iíd usual sail with crew. Iím considering the Morgan not because itís the ideal boat for me but because Iím in India and itís about the only cruising sailboat for sale in the country. Iíd have to go to Europe or Thailand to find another.

I have a few concerns about the boat. First, itís shoal draft -- nice for getting into lagoons in the Maldives, but not nice for crossing that big patch of water beyond. Iíve never sailed a shoal draft boat in open waters and the prospect doesnít fill me with joy. Second, the tankage seems small: 270 liters (70 gal) fuel, 250 liters (65 gal) water. Third, the cabintop is apparently a custom job, not factory-built, so I have concerns about its integrity to the hull, etc. For that matter, I donít know the builder -- Ellington Shipyards in Miami -- apparently it was a Morgan design but not Morgan build. Last but not least, Iím not sure I can find a good surveyor with GRP experience here to give the boat a thorough survey. It got a survey in October, in Turkey, but a lot can happen in one year and a few thousand miles.

The owners did sail it here from Europe and it apparently handled the Arabian Sea crossing OK. Itís pretty well loaded for cruising (watermaker, instruments, solar panel, wind generator, ground tackle, liferaft, etc.).

Thoughts?

Neil
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook