SailNet Community - View Single Post - why and what do you like about it.
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011

bgeddes is on a distinguished road
I have less than $3k in my boat and we sleep on it every weekend. We have a cooler and portapotty (we don't use), and don't bother cooking much. Plenty to eat without all that effort, just takes some planning. We are 18' of waterline and plenty for two. $25 worth of groceries and and beer for the weekend and we are set.

In my search this summer I found TONS of boats in the $2-3K range, some were ok, others I was not sure would even float. There are thousand dollar boats that are sailable but in need of a lot of work, mostly elbow grease and cleaning supplies.

I would have preferred a boat about 22' instead of 19', but this was the best boat we saw for the money. We planned on spending a fair amount of money to get the boat prepped for the water. That was good advice from lots of folks and we are far better prepared because of it. Other good advice was avoid a gadgetitis. You don't need a boat full of electrical goodies and gadgets to go sail. Save that money making the boat sail better and safer.

Thanks to this site and others, we are enjoying a season of sailing in preparation for a new life aloat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook