SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do you know it's too rough?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Thx for the positive replies. I am not discouraged in the least. My goal is to be able to do the 4 hour or so sail to Catalina Island. Thats about 24 miles out to sea. So I want to be very comfortable in something like this. I had this feeling last when I bought a motorcycle many many years ago. I thought I was comfortable with riding after a few days on low speed streets. I got on the freeway. I got off at the next exit and was terrified for the minute it took. The cars the wind the speed all overwhelming. Weeks later I wasn't even fazed. Hoping it's a similar experience. I was on overload and never having the experience of being bumped around a bit I was unsure on how to react. I shouted to my friend, "Gonna turn around, which direction should I turn?", he says, "Up to you."...ok so I shouted back, "Slow gradual turn or fast quick turn?", he shouted back, "Up to you."...all this while standing on the deck jumping up and down as the waves hit....lol...I am probably more afraid of making a mistake that's catastrophic. People have probably sailed in worse conditions on smaller more fragile boats right? I just need to get much much more sea time under my belt. Now I see why crewing on boats is so valuable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook