SailNet Community - View Single Post - Amateur Sailor Seeks Advice
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011

sidney777 is on a distinguished road
You need to upgrade your sailing knowledge/experience/storm tactics. Need to find out if you or crew PANIC in bad weather or other critical situations ??
Many sailors will tell you that you need to "UPGRADE" the sailboat for offshore, BUT, don't tell you or don't know what to do.... I don't know anyone who can just tell you in one conversation what should be done to make a sailboat upgraded or just changed to make it safer and more seaworthy for Long Distance Offshore Sailing..... You will have to Read and DO physical items to the boat. i.e. "Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat". Many other books and many,many opinions on what to do.
If a 25/27 ft Catalina can officially be upgraded for circumnavigaton (as seen on internet), then my money is on a Newport 27. *I don't pretend to remember or *know all the items that can be done to make the boat safer and more seaworthy. You can do some or none of the recommended items that you find (priorities or lazyness may guide you).
.....Some things I would like additional forestay,babystay,backstay,lock down all lockers & items ,Batteries,inside & outside boat. Imagine you boat turning upside down and what happens ? Add strength to Hull with stringers or whatever is recommended.
Make water tight compartments throughout boat, as in under v-birth,under any area you can. Review sails needed,,reefing, drogues,fuel tank management,spare parts. Worst
case scenarios. Food ,water,medical, how much weight your boat can sail with.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook