SailNet Community - View Single Post - Maine float plan (Penobscot Bay & Mt. Desert Is.)--your suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011

marktun is on a distinguished road
Maine float plan (Penobscot Bay & Mt. Desert Is.)--your suggestions?

Hi Folks,

My wife and I are looking forward to being in Maine the week of August 8th, and I wanted to share the following rough itenerary to see if it seems realistic to those who have cruised this area.

We've got the cruising guides, up to date charts, and will have a Sabre 38 to ourselves that week. Here's what we have in mind (hoping to moor in most locations--we like to maybe have 1 or 2 long days, then more easy hops of 4 hrs or less.

Most of this an easy cruise with plenty of time on the hook and in the Bay? Then perfect. Let me know what you think!

Best,

Mark
-----------------------------------------------

Monday: Anticipating a late (3-4pm) start out of Southwest Harbor to Somesville (alternatives: Valley Cove; or, moorings at Jock's or Abel's)

Tuesday: Somesville via Eggemoggin Reach to Buck's Harbor (alternatives: Orcutt Harbor, Horshoe Cove, or just stay over at Somesville and spend a day at Acadia)

Weds: Bucks Harbor to Camden or Rockport (alt: Heavily leaning towards Castine as a destination this day)

Thurs: Bucks/Castine to Pulpit Harbor (alt: Cruise Owl's Head, Islesboro and the Bay for the day, then to Camden/Rockport and dinner ashore).

Friday: via Fox Is. thorofare to McGlathery's or Round Is. (alt: free day of cruising Penobscot Bay)

Saturday: From McG's east via Marshall Is. past s. side of Swan Is. to Frenchboro, Long Island.

Sunday: Frenchboro to Cranberry Islands, or Northeast Harbor, or Burnt Coat Harbor, Swan Is.

Monday: Return to Southwest Harbor.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook