SailNet Community - View Single Post - Planning a simple/safe trip from Stamford, CT to the Chesapeake.. suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011

CapTim is on a distinguished road
Planning a simple/safe trip from Stamford, CT to the Chesapeake.. suggestions?

Hello all!

I'm looking to close on a new-to-me o'day 37 soon, pending all the various steps associated with buying a new-to-me boat.

If it all works out according to plan, I'll be needing to move the 'ol gal from Stamford, CT to her temporary home in Chesapeake City.

I am not entirely useless on a sailboat, though this will be a modestly larger boat than what I have experience with. The sailing bit isn't the part that is going to be new, though... it's the water I'll be traversing that will really make this little adventure what it is.

So, to that end, anybody have any suggestions from previous experience? I think I'd like to scoot inside the western edge of long island, as it makes for a pretty short trip, but I'm not sure that can be done? I know there is a good marina near Perth Amboy, NJ that I could spend some quality time at before making the trip out around the NJ coast and into the Delaware Bay. And I recall a handy canal at the mouth of the Delaware river that will land me right on top of my destination, so that's pretty useful.

I suppose I anticipate the two most interesting parts of the trip being the section between long island and manhattan, and then moving down the jersey coast. Looks like a lot of thin water there.

Anyway, enough of me rambling. Any help from the sailnet intellect would be most appreciated.

Fair winds!

--Tim

Living aboard, currently in the Chesapeake
O'Day 37, still new to us
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook