SailNet Community - View Single Post - Keel type?
Thread: Keel type?
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton
I do not have much sailing experience but my time is in aviation. There is a lot of correlation here since it is all fluid dynamics and the keel depth type etc discussion is a lot like a weight and balance problem. Remember the simple mathematical formula… weight X arm = moment. Where the depth (Length?) of the keel is the arm. Also whenever vortices are formed you also find drag. Just like whenever lift is formed you make drag. Just my 2 cents worth.

Jerry
Yes, but the weight of the arm must also be considered. The righting moment of a typical fin keel is the mass of the keel * X% of the length, which is determined by the center of mass of the keel. A bulb keel has a greater righting arm than a fin keel of the same draft and mass, as the mass of the keel is concentrated further out, in the bulb.

Captnero— I was speaking specifically, and only about stability and righting moment, and not the sailing performance of the boat. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was speaking of sailing performance. Sailing performance of a boat is affected by much more than the shape of the keel, though the shape of the keel is an important factor to consider. I don't see any real advantages in a wing keel, when it comes to providing stability, over a bulb keel. However, the wing keels have serious disadvantages IMHO and experience, over bulb keels—so there is no reason to have one as far as I am concerned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook