SailNet Community - View Single Post - Staying onboard at the bow
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Tell us/me more about sailing on this ship!
Hiya Aeventyr

Waitoa is a Thursday Is. Pearling Lugger. I grew up with this gaff ketch. My Dad still has her, but he 'potters' about now. (Basically it needs a crew who know what they are doing)

She is part of the reason I never have had a wooden boat!

I still get to work/crew her of course (& it seems like I am treated like I am still a teenager and have to work the genny, sort the main and mizzen staysail, the topsail if we fly it as well as fetch any drinks etc etc.- all at the same time)

She is a lovely boat and undeniabely has soul. I would never have got the 'bug' to go cruising if not for 'Waitoa' She has been a major part of my family's 'life' for ever. She is moored on the same row as my yacht so Dad checks my yacht, I check 'Waitoa'.

She was built in 1905, rebuilt in 1925 with NZ Kauri.

She saw WW2 war service in what you yanks would call clandestine service as did many luggers. She was pearling until about the mid 1960's.

My Dad rebuilt the main mast, the deck, new cabins, bowsprit, rebuilt engine, gear box. wheel instead of tiller etc etc over the years. I assisted.

We first put a winch and an anchor windlass on about 1990.

My Dad is a tough old school fellow.[what many Ozzies would call a 'bushy'] Like many fathers and sons, we rarely agree on things, but the older I get, the more I respect him. With 'Waitoa' a 25t gaff ketch, he could run rings about many modern tupperware things, as long as there is a bit of breeze.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook