SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dangerous Wakes Revisited
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
This is a really annoying problem in the Puget Sound area. I agree with others that much of the problem is caused by callous ignorance, rather than malicious intent. There are a lot of displacement hull power boats in the region. Generally very nice folks. However, if I'm under power at 6.5 knots, they will frequently pass me at 8-9 knots. I don't have a problem with this, but for the most part, the waters here in Puget Sound are plenty open. They don't need to pass within 30 meters of my boat. They can easily go wide but the don't.

There is a different problem in the summer with wake boarders who consistently ignore the posted no-wake zones around docks or waterways that are too narrow. Local laws specify a no-wake zone within 200 yards of any shoreline, pier, moorage, or swimming area. These folks will routinely wake board in a channel that is less than 400 yards wide. Occasionally, the Sheriff will show up, but they are spread too thin. I've wondered what the Sheriff would do if presented with video evidence?
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook