SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 32
Thread: Bristol 32
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011

rkgleason is on a distinguished road
Bristol 32

If Mr. Jeff_H, acted more like a "Super Moderator", rather than a flame producer, I would have more respect. As it is now I doubt that he has the objectivity required to be in that position, because he is so opinionated.

I have owned, sailed and cared for a Bristol 32 for 30 years now and believe I know the boat better than he. Yes, the tendencies he speaks about are there, hobbyhorse, yes, in a two foot chop, as many cca boats do. You must head off 5 degrees. Yes she has a wide sheeting angle, with her slippery hull form we get to hull speed quickly. She tracks like the devil, and with jib and main tuned will sail herself. Our boat absolutely loves the wind range of 12-15 with our 95% jib and 9-10 with our 140%. She is in her element in heavy air because of a bow pulpit fitted during construction. Yes this is not a dinghy so tacking and acceleration cannot be expected to be the the same!

I grew up with lasers, 505's and many centerboarders and still enjoy sailing/racing them and WH-15's, a herreshoff design, and sometimes J-24's. Boats are like people, they come in many varieties, and I can assure you that Ted Hood did not design this boat to be (nor is it) the boat Jeff-H describes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook