SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any thoughts on Beneteau first 26 as first boat
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011

afrinus is on a distinguished road
Any thoughts on Beneteau first 26 as first boat

Hi there

I am looking to buy my very first sail boat, and like so many others, I dont want to spend a lot of money, but of course want the most/best I can get.

I have an opportunity to buy a 1986 Beneteau first 26 at what i think is a very reasonable price - $3000.
The boat does have work, but mainly cosmetic (i.e. the cabin liner is falling off).
I cant see any problems with standing rigging but the jib halyard is stuck - it looks like it came off the wheel at the top of the mast.
Sails look pretty good.
I cant see any soft spots on the deck, although one of the safety rail stanchions is loose - it looks like the screws just pulled out as I cant see any crack or break in the fiberglass.

The boat has been on the water for the last 3 or 4 years. There is no signs of major water ingress or standing water except for some water streaks below the cabin windows - the plexiglass has cracks around the screws holding the windows.

Any concerns potentially under the water line?

I will sail on inland waters - or rather I intend to learn to sail on inland waters.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this boat and also if anyone can point me to any source of information on this boat.

Thanks

Pete
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook