SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any thoughts on Beneteau first 26 as first boat
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 08-06-2011 Thread Starter
I'd rather be sailing....
Any thoughts on Beneteau first 26 as first boat

Hi there

I am looking to buy my very first sail boat, and like so many others, I dont want to spend a lot of money, but of course want the most/best I can get.

I have an opportunity to buy a 1986 Beneteau first 26 at what i think is a very reasonable price - $3000.
The boat does have work, but mainly cosmetic (i.e. the cabin liner is falling off).
I cant see any problems with standing rigging but the jib halyard is stuck - it looks like it came off the wheel at the top of the mast.
Sails look pretty good.
I cant see any soft spots on the deck, although one of the safety rail stanchions is loose - it looks like the screws just pulled out as I cant see any crack or break in the fiberglass.

The boat has been on the water for the last 3 or 4 years. There is no signs of major water ingress or standing water except for some water streaks below the cabin windows - the plexiglass has cracks around the screws holding the windows.

Any concerns potentially under the water line?

I will sail on inland waters - or rather I intend to learn to sail on inland waters.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this boat and also if anyone can point me to any source of information on this boat.

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome