SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any thoughts on Beneteau first 26 as first boat
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
I have a 26 foot Etap, that I paid a little more than that for. It needed a little work, and I am very handy. I sailed it home from the Chesapeake about 285 miles. It has been since been onshore for the past three years, after I discovered it had a serious keel problem. I thought I could fix it over the winter, but one thing led to another, and life gets in the way too. I've been paying for it to sit in a marina and driving an hour each way to get about 4 hours work done infrequently. Deterioration from just sitting is almost outrunning me at the moment. My wife says I'm out about 30K so far, she's exaggerating I think, but who's going to argue the point? Not me!

So I'd really advise that you look again, then get a survey if you are still interested. What you want to know is, is the boat used or USED UP. Mine was used up. Also remember that everything you buy for your $3000 boat is actually a part for a 50,000? boat, and costs that way.

Gary H. Lucas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook