SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need Advice on Changing Stuffing Box hose
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Tom,

I am going to pull the shaft on my I-28 this winter. I need to replace the cutlass bearing and will replace the coupling hose at the same time. Knowing this is on the schedule I have been giving the shaft coupling a small dose of PB Blaster and a couple of "taps" with a ball peen hammer each time I am near by doing something else. I have been doing this for several months anticipating a problem getting it to come loose from the shaft when the time comes. I will schedule the actual removal for a bitterly cold part of the Maine winter and don't see a problem with warming the flange a little. My first choice, along with this preparation, will be to put tension on the joint with a socket that fits into the shaft end of the coupling and allows me to tighten the three bolts progressively. This will, in theory, push the shaft out of the coupling. I am not expecting this to happen quickly and plan to make a trip to the coupling bolts for another fractional turn each time I visit the boat. If it comes loose by the end of March I will consider it "on time and well done". I have always had good luck with blaster, "taps", heat and patience. That is how I got the 2 blade prop off this spring when I replaced that with the 3 blade Indego. That was a good decision, too.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 08-07-2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: content
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook