SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rough weather seperates real boats from bad boats...
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy40 View Post
This from what I understand is the main thing which makes a boat blue water capable or not.
Your getting beat up bit but I think that is because of the "bad boats" term.

If what you meant to say. "Is this the difference between a coastal sailing boat and a blue water boat" I doubt if most folks would take issue.
  • A fuller hull with longer keel will be slower but track better and not pound as much.
  • Heavier chain plates and standing rigging are more likely to endure long term pounding.
  • Lots of stringers or egg create stiffeners to create a ridged hull will prevent the hull from flexing itself to death during weeks of rough conditions.
  • A rudder hung in such a way as to have protection will likely survive better than a simple fin.

Your basic premise is correct. Blue water boats are built differently. They are almost always more expensive, heavier and slower with more room for tanks and stowage and less room for people.
Just don't call all the other boats from Sunfishes to Bennes, Cats and Hunters bad boats or not real boats and you will get more constructive comments.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook