SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2011 Governor's Cup
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
I was honored that chef stopped by to visit us. He was headed home from work and Annapolis is a bit out of his way. We had a great talk but the Admiral feels bad that we didn't even offer you anything to drink. Next time for sure!

We had a great sail that was quite athletic with 22kt headwinds a short, steep Bay waves greeting us all the way to Point Lookout. For a while, we were doubled reefed with about 110% genoa. Maybe not aggressive enough but brought the heel down from 35+ deg to 25 or so. Sabre says that the boat sails best at 26 degrees, so it seemed like the right decision. When putting in the second reef (in the dark) I realized that the extra roach in the new main (only the 3rd time up the mast) made the clew for the 2nd reef was misaligned with the turning block on the boom. I used the 1st reef block and it worked. I'll have to do some reconfiguring for a permanent solution. At about 0400, I came on watch to drive and noticed that the bow running lights were out, so I ended hanging upsidedown with flashlight in my teeth and changed the bulb. Got drenched up to my knees in the process. With so much water on deck I was very pleased that everything was tight below.

This was Vicky's first Gov Cup and she ended up loving it. Frankly, I am a little surprised. But she's already talking about next year and winning. After 30 years, she still surprises me. She even feels bad about dropping our nice chrome Lewmar winch handle overboard during an emergency tack. Oops.

We finished at about 1100. I don't think that we finished well but we didn't retire as others appeared too, the boat and crew are unbroken, and we had a blast for the 4th year in a row. My only gripe is that after 36 hours. The results still aren't posted. I can enter any $25 foot race and see the results online by dinner. I guess thus aspe t of technology hasn't caught up with yacht racing.

We met midlifesailor on the beach afterward and had a nice chat. The conditions pulled the stbd rubrail right off the boat. We thought that he was trailing a spin sheet! It turns out that our next door neighbor at Port Kinsale Marina was on midlife's crew. Small world.

It was a great time made better by meeting two more Sailnetters.

Last edited by Sabreman; 08-07-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Typos. Sorry hard to edit on an iPhone
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook