SailNet Community - View Single Post - cal 34 - double headsail modification
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I am not saying that a Cal 34 rigged for heaving to is any more prone to a knockdown than any other racer-cruiser of that era. Nor am I saying that the best storm tactic for a Cal 34 is to lie ahull.

My comments were addressing my understanding of the question contained in the terse original post. As I read this post, the original poster was inquiring about adding a bowprit and trying to convert a Cal 34 to a cutter rig (modern definition). My comments were intended to say that Cal 34's are reasonably well balanced boats when flying the proper sail area for the conditions and that adding a bowprit and adding second jib tacked to that bowsprit would probably result in a lee helm, which is never a good idea for a boat intended for offshore use.

In the discussion, my understanding was that Sailingfool was suggesting adding an inner stay in order to fly a storm jib. I was commenting on that suggestion. My point was that in conditions which are heavy enough to require a storm jib you would probably also need to strip the furler of its headsail, because the weight aloft, and windage of a rolled up headsail is enough to knock down a small boat in those kinds of conditions. And also, I would be concerned that a storm jib flown from a jibstay located between the forestay and the mast would result in a lot of weather helm being located so far aft. It is the kind of modification which should not be made lightly since its position is so critical and the structural implications pretty extensive.

Although I admit that my comments were poorly written, my suggestion really was that on a boat the size of the Cal 34 and with a rig proportioned like a Cal 34, I would suggest using hanked-on headsails and having a hanked-on storm jib set on the forestay and a permanent track that runs to the deck for the storm trisail so that the storm trisail to be ready to raise at any time.

For the record, the Cal 34 is a boat that I actually like for coastal cruising but whose hull to deck joint I would consider their achilles heel for offshore use.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-08-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook