SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan 37 Propellor
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011

Steveoe is on a distinguished road
Tartan 37 Propellor

I have owned my '77 Tartan 37 for 13 years and everytime I come out of the water I always tell myself to put on a new propeller. This time, I really mean it it. I have good running original Westerbeke 40, with the original 2 bladed prop, One inch prop shaft, 16" diameter, and don't believe thier is more than 1-2 inches of clearance from the hull. In flat water, no current, best I have ever been able to do is 5.2 - 5.4 knots. Motoring to windward in Galveston Bay chop and a 25 knot breeze is a no go, but hey, I like to sail anyway.
I have never really had any reverse control with this boat either. I am coming out of the water for a 30 year overhaul, new paint, topsides and deck, major $'s, so I don't want to spend a bunch of money on this new prop, but I sure would like to get another 1.5 to 2 knots out of it. What are experiences out their? I am not opposed to a 3 blade fixed prop, but would like to stay away from it for the drag. Will a 2 or 3 blade folding prop give me better performance and control?
One of the reasons I haven't done this on past haulouts is that the issue just befuddles me to no end. Looking for true answers. T-37, #28, "Lagnaippe", Galveston Bay

Last edited by Steveoe; 08-08-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: spelling, grammer
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook