SailNet Community - View Single Post - Old Keel bolt repair
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011

alanr77 is on a distinguished road
Update, Catalina Yachts is amazing. I sent them an email and got a response from an engineer in less than 12 hours. P/N's, diagrams and instructions. All this for a 36 year old boat. I guess thats why they have been in business for so long. Anyway, next month I am going to cut away the wood and fiberglass above the keel. Hopefully there are some threads remaining under the mess in the pictures. I will then install 7 12" lag bolts into the keel with stainless steel plates with washers as support. I figure between the original bond between the keel and the hull, the remaining holding force of the original bolts plus the added lag bolts, I should be fine. Having spent a few hours researching this subject, I don't think there has been any documented cases of a C-30 keel falling off. This is somewhat comforting as I was really upset about the serious setback with this boat. Now that I have a plan I guess we will see how it turns out. I will take lots of pictures and video of the keel bolt repair, keel stub wood removal and keel crack repair. I will then save this in a file that I can share with anyone dealing with the same issues.