SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yanmar 3GMF: Mystery Drop in RPMs
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitainMike View Post
Some fuel tanks have a filter in the bottom of the tank on the outlet fuel pipe. If you can check the filter could be partially blocked. alternatively and may be also you have fuel lines that are breaking up in side causing a blockage.
You are correct on the fuel filter at bottom of the tank. After buying my boat, we moved it to its new slip. We were having problems with the engine stalling. It turned out the screen at the bottom of the tank fuel outlet pipe was totally blocked. I removed the 20 gallon tank and cleaned it. I also cleaned all the filters. The stuff doing the clogging was a black substance (maybe bacteria). I used a biocide with the new fuel. After one year I see the tank has this same black substance on the bottom. It has not made it to the screen. I plan to polish the fuel in the tank to try to remove this material.

As you suggest, I think I will replace my old fuel lines- maybe the inside is falling apart. Any ideas what the black stuff is that I get in my tank?

Also, what effect would a valve adjustment (engine) have if the valve clearances are way out of spec?

Last edited by casey1999; 08-09-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook