SailNet Community - View Single Post - Old Keel bolt repair
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011

alanr77 is on a distinguished road
Come to think of it, the original keel mount is simply 4500 pounds or so mounted to 1/2-5/8" of fiberglass with a 1/2" wood spacer in between it all. This is all held on by 8 threaded studs with tiny washers. Apparently the keel bolts are not under immense stress. The bond between the keel and hull must be pretty strong by itself. I figure that if Catalina recommends lag bolts, there must be some merit to it. I inspected this boat while out of the water, along with a surveyer and we found no separation at the keel joint. Something is holding this together. Looking at the keel bolts and the condition of the wood in between, I doubt it is only the keel bolts doing this. Having said that, I dont see how lag bolts, drilled down 12" and backed by serious plates would fail. The alternate process that Catalina suggested was to install new studs next to the old ones. However, this involves drilling large holes in the side of the keel that from the experiences of other sailers, is a constant source of leaks. Thanks for the idea's so far. AR