SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How far are you from your sailboat?

• 0 minutes, I live aboard

Votes: 59 10.0%
  • 1 to 14 minutes

Votes: 178 30.1%
  • 15 to 29 minutes

Votes: 83 14.0%
  • 30 to 44 minutes

Votes: 59 10.0%
  • 45 to 59 minutes

Votes: 52 8.8%
  • 60 to 74 minutes (just over an hour)

Votes: 42 7.1%
  • 75 to 89 minutes (just over an hour and 15 minutes)

Votes: 12 2.0%
  • 90 to 104 minutes (just over an hour and 30 minutes)

Votes: 14 2.4%
  • 105 to 119 minutes (just over an hour and 45 minutes)

Votes: 12 2.0%
  • 2 hours or more

Votes: 87 14.7%

How far are you from your sailboat?

28K views 127 replies 97 participants last post by  ianjoub 
#1 ·
This is a older thread that deserves to be a Sailnet poll.

IMHO this is best measured in the time it takes to get to your boat, since traffic and mode of transportation vary widely. If you have to row out to your boat, count that time to. So it's door-to-door, or door-to-hatch if you prefer.

If you move her (as I do in the winter), use the average distance.

Reactions: amatore
#83 ·
I lived on our boat when Hurricane Sandy hit. There was no electricity or Internet at home, and I had both on the boat. Was able to keep working, and helping the company's recovery.

A boat can make a good alternate worksite and home.

Regards,
Brad

#85 ·
I was just in the hospital for 4 days, longest I have been away from my boat since I owned it. I spent a 2 weeks recuperating on someone elses boat, longest I have stayed off my boat, though I checked on it every day...till I couldn't stand it any more and moved back on.
When I was fished out of the water after almost drowning and dieing of hypothermia, first thing out of my mouth (after the water) was "Is my boat OK"....I guess that shows where my priorities lie.

#87 ·
Thanks....I knew I loved the old girl, it's all I've got in the world. But having something like this reinforces how I feel. I have resisted "required" liability insurance, but have looked into full coverage for a 40yo wooden boat, doing full time international cruising. I found a company that insures more than just weekend sailors that never sail out of sight of land.
Covering all the bells and whistles full coverage, liability etc will cost me about $75/mo (keep in mind some people spend more on their gadgets and gizmos than I spent on my entire boat, gizmos included). The insurance company International Marine Insurance Services (imis.pro) asked all the right questions, got back to me the next day then responded immediately as soon as I added information...I am not easily impressed by an insurance company.

#92 ·
Adding in my own on this one, since the boat is a recent acquisition for me. Right NOW, she's about 2 1/2 hours away at it's original marina. However, I intend to have her in Ithaca, or very close to it, which will put it at about an hour, depending on traffic and weather. I figure it's close enough where it doesn't feel like it takes forever to get there, is close enough that I could actually go over after getting out of work at 11 PM and still not feeling like it's way too late, or go first thing in the morning and still be there with plenty of day to go. But, it's also just enough out, to make it seem almost like a vacation each time :)

That's the intent anyway.

#95 ·
I'm lucky. I'm ten minutes away by car. There are opening a new marina in my town in May that will be at the end of my street where I will be moving my boat to.

Then my commute by foot will be less then ten minutes. :D

But, when I lived in south Florida, my boat was 20 miles away, and it took 45-60 minutes to drive there. It sucked.

#97 ·
This is a fun thread . If I take the short cut 1mi. away it takes about 5min. The scenic rout is about 1.5 and under 8min. Some of my dock mates live a very long way off 2hrs. + drive, and the SoCal. traffic is brutal . My friends (a married couple) used to have their boat right next to me but lived in AZ. They were at the boat almost every weekend !

#101 ·
We used to live 2-1/2 hrs away but moved to our Creekhouse when I retired in August. So our boat is some 100' away, if you count walking out the pier. Before you flame me, I think I deserve this after driving to the boat for 25 years!

Tod

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#107 ·
We used to live 2-1/2 hrs away but moved to our Creekhouse when I retired in August. So our boat is some 100' away, if you count walking out the pier. Before you flame me, I think I deserve this after driving to the boat for 25 years!

Tod

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Until a few years ago I lived on the water with a boat lift and access to the Gulf of Mexico. It was nice being able to walk to the back yard, and get in the boat. Unfortunately, the sailboat drew too much to get back there.

#104 ·
6 hr drive if u time it to miss Atlanta and Macon rush hours. My plan has always been to stay on her for extended periods after she is shipshape and I am clear to travel on her. (Still tying up all my loose ends so I can separate from land life for these long periods of time...:p )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.