SailNet Community - View Single Post - Block Island tips and tricks
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Block Island tips and tricks

I avoid the island in July and August, as it gets so crowded, but have a little pressure to bring some family there before the end of August. We typically go in shoulder seasons and can find a mooring. I'm familiar with the process of dropping anchor, calling the Harbor Master and trying to get an empty private mooring at 3pm.

My bigger concern is find good holding and good swing room if we need to stay on the hook for the night. We have a good dinghy, so typically opt to be further way from the action if the conditions are better.

Any specific tips or suggestions on where to drop the hook? We have 200ft of chain and a 75lb CQR. Not loving more than 30 or 35 ft of water over night if there is any meaningful wind.

Thanks for the input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook