SailNet Community - View Single Post - Places around Providence to start Sailing
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011

MariusHY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to MariusHY
Places around Providence to start Sailing

After one year of living in Providence, RI and seeing how much fun other people have with boating around here, I decided to do the same.
At first I was basically looking for a motorboat but then considered sailing as the more interesting (and probably cheaper) alternative.

So long story short I now decided to buy a used O'day Javelin to start learning how to sail. My experience with boating in general and sailing in particular is pretty slim, however, I do pick up things very quickly and have always been able to learn things myself (trial and error and reading ) Also a friend of mine will be helping me with the most basic things.

I actually thought it would be best to start my first own sailing moves on something like a fairly large freshwater lake, but that seems to be something which is not that easy to find here in the providence area. Considering that it should probably be a bit larger than most of the ponds you find around here.

So my question basically is, what is the best area to start sailing at, around Providence? Considering all the things like traffic, wind, tide and everything else that I did not think of

Best regards

Marius
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook