SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wouldn't heave to in 25 knots of wind.
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Hey MarkSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
It's a Bristol 31.1.
Is this your boat? BRISTOL 31.1 sailboat on sailboatdata.com
If so why not at least put a link to your boat in your signature or put your boat make/model on your profile here. It would save dorks like me always asking you which boat you have. Just a suggestion and not a put down in any way.
Looking at the shape of your hull (if the diagram in my link is correct) you need very little jib to heave to and balance the main. If you have a furler you should be able to dial it in to what works.
I say this because I have a more full keeled boat and we can heave to with nearly a full jib usually. Your hull, while not a fin keel is not that far off and should turn pretty sprightly unlike my boat which takes some time to tack. To heave to your boat you need much more main then genoa up and you will find the balance it takes. In the SF Bay winds you get you may even need to reef the main and furl in the jib. You will figure it out but you've got to practice this in various wind strengths to really know what to do.
Sometimes just the main alone is enough to fore reach on. For more on forereaching go to: FAQs
This couple has sailed
way more then me.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook