SailNet Community - View Single Post - Multimeter suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarberiaSailor View Post
Hi. I'm looking to buy a digital auto-ranging multimeter to have as part of my onboard toolkit. Am looking to find mfg and models that folks have had good experience with.

The Small Extech units like the MN36 have caught my eye. Any advice is appreciated

Any cheap meter will work, I have many, but if you want one that will do many useful things on a boat they get expensive. I owned an Extech that was supposed to capture DC in-rush currents and did not, despite a faster published capture rate than Fluke. After many discussions with Extech they took the meter back. I replaced my older Fluke wth the newer 376 and have never owned a finer meter for marine applications. Not cheap though.

Personally I feel you either go cheap, $10-$30.00 or go good... I also own a Mastech clamp meter and it is very quirky.

If you're looking for the utmost in accuracy you won't generally find it in low end meter but you really don't need it for "general" work..

Here's a few of my "cheapies" all monitoring the same battery...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook