SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wife Said Go Ahead!!
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011

seascoutdad is on a distinguished road
Wife Said Go Ahead!!

Hello. I stumbled on this forum while doing what seems to be my newest obsession; looking for info on the MacGregor 26X. I first learned about the Mac back in the mid 1990's. I sent off for all of the information and studied it like crazy, but then put it aside when the kids started coming.

Now 3 of our kids are involved in Sea Scouts and the whole Mac thing is back worse than ever. I don't know why I am so attracted to this boat. I have read just about every negative comment on the web related to the Macgregor boats. But it seems to me that there are more testmonials from people who own Macs and are having a ball with them then there are those who are sorry they ever bought one.

We just spent 9 days with the kids' Sea Scout ship sailing in Rhode Island (Block Island, Martha's Vinyard, etc.) on a Benetau 47. The captain has tons blue water racing experience and I guess I don't need to tell you what he had to say about the Mac; no performance, slow, tender, bla, bla, bla. But I guess if you can afford a $325,000 boat you probably wouldn't have much good to say about a used water ballasted motor sailer.

Anyway, tonight my wife finally gave me her blessing to go forward (I'm the dreamer and she is the realist). So now that I am actually in the market to buy a boat I figured I should join this forum. Besides, it will give me something to do while I save up the cash to buy the thing.

After quite a bit of study I have decided that I want to find a used 26X. I like the X better than the M mainly because of the interior layout (I like the head in the rear rather forward of the dinette), and the fact that a used X seems to be about half the cost of a used M. Optimizing space is very important to us because we have 5 kids. I know there are people already typing a response telling me that the X will only sleep 6 and it would be too small for us. We regularly camp in a trailer that is supposed to sleep 5. We are not troubled by close quarters, and we're not planning to circumnavigate in the thing anyway. We just want something that we can have fun in and do some camping on the water.

We would love to hear from other families who cruise in a 26X and what they have found that works and doesn't work - as well as any quirks/weak spots common to the 26X that I should pay attention to when shopping for a boat.

And as a side note, if there are any folks involved in the B.S.A. Sea Scout program out there I would love to hear from them as well. Below is a link to our ship web site.

S

I guess that's enough of a rambling introduction. I'm looking forward to reading through all of the posts here. Now all I have to do is raise some cash
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook