SailNet Community - View Single Post - Overwhelmed, but happy...
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011

pmoore is on a distinguished road
Flapping Dacron

So... Fingers out of the winches- good advice as well as the thoughts about sail load. I've always had a tendency to cheat a bit when sailing, i.e., not using a winch handle and just spinning in sheets with a single wind on the winch in moderate air, etc. Looks like the weights and measures are beyond the bicep and body mass. Really appreciated that perspective- likely will save me some rope burn or broken fingers at the very least.

My plan is to undersize sail for conditions until I get the feel for the boat. Like putting a smaller jib up than seems justified, and only going out in a fresh breeze, with an even more vigilant eye on the weather until I have the feel and rhythm.

Is it right that the spinnaker pole would be the beefiest pole on deck, and the smaller one would be a whisker/jockey pole? I think flying the kite will happen later on- I've been spooked by videos of broaching. Great advice on getting a more experienced gang to help me on that when the time comes.

I'm sailing in Puget Sound with winds that typically run 5-15. Is there a standard scale for the use of the jib numbers for all boats? That is, is there a rule of thumb for when to use a no.1 jib, or no.2 when looking at wind speed? On my Coronado, I had a storm jib, 100%, and lite Genny. I would pick by feel, and lessen sail according to comfort. But still, I knew that a close reach with that Genny would get a bit uncomfortable with 12kt gusts, so I'd plan accordingly. Hope there is a chart somewhere with kts and sail recommendations- or I'll need to make one for my boat. There's a bunch of sails...

Again, your advice is greatly appreciated

-Phil
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook