SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice, please on crimping wire connections...
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I can't speak for the USN but do note that the FAA requires crimps and bans soldered splices. Oddly enough, the USAF also used crimps, I spoke to a fellow who installs miles of harnesses in combat aircraft and he said they're also prohibited from soldering, he can install a hundred pounds of wiring and it is exclusively crimped.

So that's two sources of aviation specifications, both concerned with "oops, it fell down, went boom" who say solder is no good in wiring.

And I've seen USAF test data done in the late 60's, that indicated wire wrap (or almost anything else) was more reliable than soldering, based on actual lab testing of circuit boards and other assemblies. Even with lab-quality soldering, the soldered connections to boads simply FAILED more often than anything else--including wire wraps.

ABYC standards are not meant for "yachties" they are meant for the firms that build boats, i.e. professional boat builders and professional electricians in their employ. There's never a time or place where "yachties" would be concerned with meeting ABYC specs, except by personal choice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook