SailNet Community - View Single Post - Night sailing
Thread: Night sailing
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
I have a night vision scope and it has made all the difference. If you are going to be navigating inshore waters it turns night into day! Try to avoid looking at streetlights and other bright objects. Mine is an inexpensive one. I once used a top shelf pair of night vision binoculars that were on a yacht we were delivering from Mount Desert Island, ME to Newport, RI and having them to stand watch with convinced me of their value. No more guessing about what you are looking at out in the dark. We also have a very bright remote controlled spot that plugs into a socket I installed in the bow anchor locker. It mounts to the bow rail with a stainless mirror mount I bought at a truck stop. If I am going to be motoring in lobster pot infested waters at night I clamp it to the rail. it makes it easy to see what is out front and keeps both hands free. It also makes me quite visible!! The scope is better if two people are on board and eliminates the glare king. I like the scope for sailing single handed at night.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 08-14-2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: content
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook