SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chartering the US VI
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie nelson View Post
fallard tell me about the usvi. Just looking at a map of that whole area and it seems like there are a ton of places to sail to around st thomas. Have you ever been to tabago? Looks like a cool place to visit. Honestly it looks like an easy 7 or 10 days of sailing around the usvi. Hell i dont have to see everything in one trip and dont want to. Im thinking i need to save the bvi for another trip.?( got some time to think about it)

eddie
I'm not Fallard even though he has been doing a very good job providing information.

There aren't that many really great places to go around St Thomas especially when compared to St John. On St Thomas, Brewers Bay and Magan's Bay are nice. Depending on conditions Lindbergh can be too. Just off St Thomas, Water Island and Great St James offer some great opportunities for an overnight. For a day stop, Buck Island is fantastic.

The Tobago Islands are outside of the USVI and in the BVI waters. I have spent some time there on really flat days which only happen a handful of times a year. There are some very good snorkeling spots but typically the swell and current are too much for me to reccommend that area as a destination. To go there legally you have to clear into the BVI, probably at Jost, then sail to either of the Tobagos to snorkel, dive, etc. Then you probably are going to end up beating back to Jost to spend the night or sailing over to St John to clear back into the USVI. It's off the beaten path and not a spot that is normally a comfortable place to spend the night.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook