SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pirates and wenches, Rock Hall
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011

swampcreek is on a distinguished road
We made it...

We were going to head somewhere else for the weekend but on the way out Friday I called a friend and he asked where I was at. I said I was getting ready to go out on the boat after I get my supply of bow lights (My boat eats them up). He said he was docked at Rock Hall, so I told the crew we were going after all, she was fine with that as long as we were sailing somewhere, since we had a particular destination and were now running late for a particular destination we left the dinghy home.

Arrived at Rock Hall late Friday afternoon and tied to the city dock one boat away from our friends. We met up and had dinner & more than a few drinks, went to bed late.

Saturday morning we awoke to cannon thunder. We got up went to our friends boat and had breakfast. They had been there before so they were more ready than us (They had pirate clothes). We walked around and did touristy stuff, joined the dinghy water soaker mahem in the harbor, went to the beach to watch the dinghy race later we went to the bar for drinks...Then the weather changed, the wind started to pick up blowing dead against the dock. We were back onboard our freinds boat preparing to stream some shrimp when the harbor started to get rough with incresing winds. I went to check our boat and had to adjust and add bumpers, then added throw cushions, my Wife came over and saw I was basically stuck watching the boat, as the weather kicked up even more our freinds who have a much larger boat alongwith almost everyone else on the dock joined the fight with their boats. Some of the larger boats received horrible damage from bashing the dock we were basically unscathed due to sacraficing throw cushions and using every bumper aboard (WE WILL BE BUYING LARGER BUMPERS NEXT TIME WE GO TO THE STORE), we were also lucky to be at the boats when this all started. Dinner cancelled as contingency plans commenced, we decided that when the next lull happened and we could break free from the dock we would call it a weekend. When our chance came at sundown we broke out of the harbor into open water and headed home across the bay. Although the waves were much larger in the bay we were away from fixed objects and other boats, my Wife was cool with the whole event even laughing when I was drenched by a wave that came over the side (A few years ago this would have totally freaked her out!). We docked up in our slip around 11:00PM.

So either the weather and/or economy must have kept many away because it didn't seem too crowded. Everyone we ran into was really nice, the people dressing up as pirates were having fun and in really good spirits and there is nothing wrong with that. We will go back next year. We will NOT use the dock, we all have decided to anchor/raft on the flats, we will bring the dinghy, super soakers, and yes...probably PIRATE CLOTHES!!!!

To steal the phrase from one of my favorite restaurants (Hooters) it is delightfully tacky.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook