SailNet Community - View Single Post - I had a great sail today.
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
I had a great sail last night. Itís so hot lately that Iíve been sailing in the evenings. Yesterday I invited some old friends for a sunset sail. Mike had lots of experience in a small one design called a Blue Jay, Allie had none. Wind had been blowing from the west all day and thatís just great cause we had a beam reach all the way to the turn to go out Clearwater Pass. We also had a strong outgoing tide helping us along. At the turn we furled the jib and fired up the diesel for the run out to the Gulf. Iíve never seen Clearwater Pass kick up the way it was yesterday, with the incoming wind and waves and outgoing tide the chop was steep and close together. As the diesel droned on we were burying the bow in the next wave and water was streaming back along the cabin top and the deck ...... it was cool. Once out the pass we were able to set the jib and get out into calmer waters. I was proud of how she handled the rough stuff, none of us ever felt in danger. The sunset was a little muted last night but the wind held and we were able to sail all the way back to the dock ..... the moon was awesome. I really enjoyed letting Mike to most of the sailing, it had been years for him, and Allie really enjoyed herself. Sheís already talking about how one could travel and live aboard .........

DB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook