SailNet Community - View Single Post - Night sailing
Thread: Night sailing
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Bene505,

If you visit Mount Desert Island you can expect to find some channels "paved" with lobster pots. I get the things tangled in my rudder at my mooring in Seal Harbor. A small cruise ship made the mistake of coming in Eastern Way a couple of years ago to anchor in Great Harbor. It took a team of divers an entire day to untangle the pots they swept up with their stabilizers. Toggle floats can be an even bigger problem as they are small and unpainted. They mark strings of lobster traps. They are everywhere!

We often enjoy ending our day's sail at a restaurant that has a dock. There are many opportunities to do this here. after dinner, if we decide to return home, it is an intense bit of navigation in familiar waters to avoid picking up a float. I have resisted installing a warp cutter on my shaft but this winter, when I replace the cutlass bearing, I am going to install one.

I have many lobstermen friends who's gear I try to respect but I am going to stop worrying about going over the side at 65 years of age if I do get fouled and let a warp cutter free my shaft. I have paid those dues.

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook