SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing without an Engine
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteGuy View Post
Even a small 2 horse air cooled outboard will not add weight but will add peice of mind when needed.
Maybe. It depends on the boat, the skipper, the way the outboard is rigged and how easy (or difficult) it is to operate from the cockpit.

I've seen people get into a lot of trouble - and cause a lot of damage - trying to get an undersized outboard in gear at the last minute (that won't stop them them anyway) when they should have been concentrating on what was happening in and around the boat and fending off instead.

Boats in our fleet that usually sail without engines might carry an outboard - but it isn't on the stern or running when they come in. It's down below, ready to take them home on a flat calm day...

In my experience, you either come in under engine or sail - not both. Having a noisy outboard on the back ready to snag lines and distract crew is really not going to help you get in safely.