SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing without an Engine
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
When we came in with no motor, in 15 knot winds... I was flying a reefed main only (keeping sail area simple, and tacking pretty hands free). Spilling wind on my way in. We were doing 2.5 knots on a port reach, at the end of the dock... 80 feet away was our slip (and 90 degrees in, and into the wind). I instructed crew, what was happening.. no time for topping lifts, or the like, boom was going into the cockpit at speed, and I would be running from tiller to dock (crew isn't really crew at this point they are ballast, no one that nimble yet except me). Everyone knew this was a ONE-TAKE only bit, but were kept in the loop to know what to expect. The boom/mainsail dropped (controlled), we are on bare poles, coasting the 80 feet. Doing 1.5 knots for my 90 degree turn.

After my 90 degree turn, coasting now at 1 knot, we slid into our dock perfectly, with enough time for me to hop off and stop the boat. It was quick, and less than subtle, but we hit nothing. We collected main/boom, and cleaned up from there once docklines secured.

I would not want to do this every time, but knowing how, and what do expect is part of sailing.
Well done! It sounds to me like you've worked it out.

The key is being able to drop the sail quickly and safely and in picking the right moment to do it. It is a very satisfying thing when you nail it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
This is WAY more difficult as the boats get bigger. We've been forced to do it with our 6000lb 27 footer (dead engine), and you need precision and big arms to stop that beast in the slip. But the J/22 should at least prepare you for what is necessary to do .
Bigger? Not so much - but heavier, yes.

We (and others) regularly sail 3000kg Adams 10's in and out of the dock for the Twilight races - in all conditions (our boat is moored stern-to and requires a 90-degree turn off the main channel) and we carry no engine. Sometimes a tow from someone with an engine is a handy thing to help us get to the start on time, and most are happy to oblige.

After a point it becomes simply too difficult and dangerous to sail in and out of a dock. eg. the +50-foot old gaffers without engines are generally kept on swing moorings instead.

Last edited by Classic30; 08-15-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook