SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing without an Engine
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011

joelsanda is on a distinguished road
A couple of trips back I was motoring in and fumbling with the tiller and the engine throttle. These boats (club owned) have the outboards mounted port and it's rather awkward to use the tiller and throttle at the same time.

Between the throttle, tiller, directing the my son and friend, maneuvering into the slip and watching another boat swinging about it dawned on me the engine was more trouble than it was worth. If it died, which these love to do at or above idle, I'd have some explaining to do.

As it was I came in a little too fast and the first line wrapped about a dock cleat was the port stern line. This caused the bow to swing out to the starboard very quickly. Luckily my friend caught that and nothing happened.

But had I come in with oars and/or a reefed main I could have spilled air and cranked the tiller to slow probably faster then throttling down, switching to reverse, and applying gas.

Thanks for the encouragement and stories - next time out willbe maneuvering in tight quarters for practice!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook