SailNet Community - View Single Post - bluewater cruising in Morgan 321?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006

gdavids is on a distinguished road
Cruising on a Morgan 32

I owned a 1980 Morgan 32 for about 7 years. This was actually hull number 1 of that model. During that period I lived aboard and did a lot of sailing on the San Francisco Bay, California coast and one round trip between SF and Hawaii.

It was a fairly strong boat that I would have no big concerns about making a crossing with in non-hurricane season. The two detractions with the shoal keel are upwind pointing ability and stiffness to the wind. You will find that you need to reef this boat a bit before deeper keel boats have to, and they will sail higher than you when close hauled. For any sailing off the wind these two issues go away of course. I do believe Morgan also made a 5' deep version, but I had the 4' version.

Before making the big crossing I did have a true storm jib made. I only needed it on two occasions - but it was great to have. I also had a third reef put in the main. I also had a Sailomat windvane which did a fantastic job steering the boat. In fact, at the time of the sale I removed it from the Morgan and put it on our new boat (Ericson 39).

A few weeks ago we were sailing on the Bay and noticed our old boat and snapped the following pictures.

Feel free to ask me any specific questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5243.JPG (71.8 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5249.JPG (82.3 KB, 241 views)

Last edited by gdavids; 08-22-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook