SailNet Community - View Single Post - Swing Keels anyone ?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
Question Swing Keels anyone ?

Here's a post from another thread about keel types:
"I'm not interested in a swing keel. They scare me."

Since the original poster didn't seem to want to consider swing keels, I thought it better to start another thread to address it. Besides, as it turned out we already had plenty of issues just discussing some of the other keel types.

Swing keels are used to provide a very shallow draft with the keel up and rather deep draft with the board down. Like a centerboard, the swing keel can be retracted when going downwind for less drag. Besides some daysailers, swing keels are used on the British made Southerly on yachts from the mid thirty foot to mid forty foot. They have been in production since 1980 and a few years ago increased North American marketing efforts and redesigned the fleet for increased performance. The Southerly design includes a grounding plate in the center of the hull such that the boat can be easily and safely dried out. That is a big advantage where there are large tidal differences, more common in Europe. Beneteau is offering a swing keel on the cruising 323.

Does anyone have good or bad experiences with swing keels ? Can anyone relate to the above quote ? What are your opinions on the swing keel ?

ps - I've found that sometimes swing keels are confused with the laterally canting keel so let's not go there
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook