SailNet Community - View Single Post - How would you dock her?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011

meuritt is on a distinguished road
I have a boat with starboard prop walk, we can turn it more or less in place, counter clockwise. The new slip I have recently taken is the first I have had where I have current (small) and wind to contend with. A pilothouse ketch, windage is an issue. While this is the widest slip I have ever had, it is the most difficult to enter because it is starboard, and winds this year have tended to push the bow further than... enough excuses.

We are working with spring lines. The exit plan is great, 100' line from the stern cleat to a dock cleat and back aboard, back out, letting out the line until the bow is clear, snub the line using the winch and the bow dutifully, and quickly, points in the desired direction of travel, against the prevailing wind.

Coming in, the theory is to all but stop at an angle to the slip, spring line attached near the stays, or on the stays, is quickly tossed over either the piling if we can reach it, or a dock cleat, slack is taken and a quick but gentle nudge with the prop and we are drama free into the slip. It mostly works, we haven't come up with the exact combination for the 13 ton, high windage, 37' long boat. I think we are a bit too far forward with the line.

Based upon my complete inexperience, but I have watched the video and read a book, it seems to me that coming in, taking the available line from the piling and using the motor power to get the boat lined up would be a good place to start. I can't imagine being able to back that far in my boat.

the video I refer to is Captain Jack Klang Single Handed Docking.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook