SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI: Alternative to Full Provisioning
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
BVI: Alternative to Full Provisioning

We have booked our first BVI charter for April 2012 and I'm beyond excited.

I received some good provisioning advice while hanging out in the chat room earlier, but something just dawned on me.

Rather than loading up the boat with tons of food for the week, is it naive to think that I can get away with buying some essentials to get us going (and for emergencies when we can't get to shore) and then buying food where the locals buy food on the various islands that we visit? They have to buy food somewhere, correct?

Our preferred way to travel is to wander around neighborhoods, eat where the locals rather than tourists eat (OK, we will be going to Foxy's) and see how people in other countries live. Isn't there street food available? We have no desire to sit on the boat 24/7 no matter how blue and crystal clear the water is. Why spend all that money to isolate ourselves with the same couple for seven days? Nice as they are.

So, to all you cruisers who call the islands your second (or first) home, is this realistic?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook