SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cheap UHT milk/cream & Coffee
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I'm trying to find the link without success but we have been using a long life milk that is not UHT. In Oz its marketed under the Devondale brand.
A, it's good stuff, but I'm afraid it is indeed UHT Milk.

The Devondale stuff of which you speak is manufactured by Murray-Goulburn in Leongatha, VIC and currently it contains Leongatha town water. It's been a political football here for years now, since the town is (was) on Stage 5 Water Restrictions and yet the plant was using around one million litres of town water a day - more than half of the town's entire consumption - and sending about the same (condensed from the driers) to waste down the local creek.

It tastes like "real milk" because (a) the milk comes from local daries and the water from local reservoirs (ie. it's the same rain water - just different paths to the packet; via. cow or via pipe!) and (b) they go to extraordinary lengths to get the taste right.

Unfortunately all of their Powdered Milk product is exported.. but if you can find it, it's just as good as the UHT stuff.