SailNet Community - View Single Post - Swing Keels anyone ?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
Southerly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
.. I would imagine the shallow draft would vastly increase your cruising grounds... and in the case of a storm (not a hurricane) could put you in a lot closer to a protected shore.

They did do a write up in CWorld some months back on a Southerly, as I recall. Seems the author was very pleased with it. My guess is the February/March issue. Might be worth reading.

Would also be interested in Jeff H thoughts and others that might be very knowledgeable.
I've seen an aerial photo of the Northshore/Southerly factory on a river. The pier area dries out and the Southerlies tied up there just stand up. A Southerly rep at the Annapolis boat show told me they had a nasty storm that scattered boats all over the land. He said that for the Southerlies they just retracted the keel pennant and lifted them back into the water. The other boats tended to have significant other damage.

A few years ago they hired Rob Humphreys to do a performance upgrade to their fleet so I suspect that had something to do with the article that you saw.

The 46 footer retracts to 33". I know some neat Carribean lagoons that you could reach with that. Oh, BTW- they only make deck salon so the keel retracts under the raised area.

Last edited by captnnero; 08-22-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook