SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard lift davit for dinghy motor on 27' cal
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011
Daysailor wannabe cruiser

lans0012 is on a distinguished road
Good point Siamese

Good point Siamese, I wont argue with you on that one. Although the 6hp is just what I ended up with. I had this ranger 22 with a 3.5 hp nissan that weighed 25lbs or so, I traded that boat and motor for a motorcycle, that I then sold and used the money to buy this Cal 27. Later I bought a paddleboard and kept it on the bow, but decided I didn't like it, traded it for another paddleboard that I liked, then got bored with it, and traded it for this tohatsu 6 horse.

I've thought about selling it, and then buying a smaller outboard, but then I was thinking that 6hp would be more fun than a 2.5 or 3.5, and I should just try and find a way to deal with the extra weight. Besides, I was kind of hoping a bigger outboard on the dinghy would mean I would get a bigger dinghy, which would then convince me to buy a bigger boat to fit the dinghy.

I went to home depot tonight and found I can make exactly what I need out of galvanized pipe for about $25 including the white rustoleum. When I got home I found a couple of websites where I think I can buy the pipe that I need in stainless steel for less than $100.

A previous poster recommended the Nova Lift and I'm pretty sure that is the ticket...but I just can't pay $600 for a bent peice of stainless and a peice of tackle that I already have, just out of principle alone.

I'm still open to suggestions
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook