SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pressure Washers

View Single Post
post #27 of Old 08-19-2011 Thread Starter
TakeFive

I'm by no means an expert, but I have used the borrowed one several times so I've developed a bit of a technique. I always use the fan, and start at a good distance away where it's not effective. Then I gradually get closer until the muck is coming off without damaging what's underneath. With the borrowed one (which I think was about 2500psi/2.3 GPM) I had to get close enough that the fan was 2-3" wide. My hope in getting a more powerful unit is that I can back off enough for a wider fan to be effective. Wouldn't it be nice to knock off a 4-6" wide swath at a time? Wishful thinking, though.

Last fall was my first haulout, so my first chance to enjoy the pleasure of getting under the boat to wash it. There were a couple of times where I fumbled with the wand and it almost touched the bottom, but there was NO DAMAGE! Man, that WM Bottomshield paint must have been tough stuff! With 3000 psi I need to be even more careful because that might cause more damage. This time around I have Pettit Vivid, which is a slightly softer hybrid paint, so hopefully the slime will come off a little easier. We'll see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Take Five is for sale (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome