SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI: Alternative to Full Provisioning
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Been scratching my head over the local eatery question. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough since we cook a lot on the boat.

You're going to have a taxi-van ride whether you get to Tortola by ferry or plane so ask the driver about local places to eat. S/he probably won't be much help far from wherever s/he lives.

Roti Palace in Roadtown is reasonably local. It's a bit of a hike from the Sunsail base but might fit into your schedule if you have an evening start. You should pass the Sunny Caribbee spice shop which is a plus.

Christine's bakery in Great Harbour is good - I think they serve breakfast.

Dotsy's in The Settlement on Anegada makes good homemade pizza.

Not local but a bit obscure is the Sandbox on Prickly Pear Island in North Sound -- it's open when it's open.

Not provisioning related are some other thoughts:

In North Sound watch for Anouk who sells jewelry and t-shirts from her dinghy. She lives aboard with her son at anchor near Prickley Pear. She cruised for many years but grew roots in the BVI and has been running her small business there for a couple of decades.

You can get t-shirts all over, but some of the best are at Sydney's Peace & Love in Little Harbour JVD and Soggy Dollar Bar in White Bay JVD. Regardless I pack for charters expecting to buy shirts. Pack light. Take extra money. *grin*

I talked in an earlier post about people on smaller islands doing their grocery shopping on Tortola. It's worth noting that there are incredible numbers of people in the BVI that take the ferry to Red Hook and shop at Cost-U-Less on St. Thomas. The whole food distribution network is based in the USVI and food gets older and with less variety as it gets further into the minor islands.

For walkabout and getting off the beaten track your best stops will be anywhere on Tortola, Spanish Town (properly "The Valley"), Anegada, and any of the three anchorages on JVD (prepare to hike major hills). On Tortola stopping in Trellis (to explore East End) and Soper's (to explore West End) will save a lot of cab fares. From Soper's there is a dinghy canal going East that quickly gets you into residential areas.

I'm sure I'll think of other things.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook