SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pressure Washers
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
I tried a 1300 psi electric washer from Lowes on my topsides. I won't use it for that application again. We have lots of problems with spider and bird droppings and I thought this would be a easy and quick way to deal with the problem. To use enough pressure to get the spider droppings, I had to hold the spray close to the fiberglass., and didn't get much coverage area, so the process was slow. I am concerned at what the pressure will do over time to seals and beading materials. But what convenced me to go another way was damage to lines. There are lots of lines on a sailboat and if you aren't very careful, you will hit them with the high pressure. I ruined my furler line (had to replace it at a cost more than the pressure sprayer) and fuzzed my mainsheet in a couple of places. I've found something at Dollar General called Totally Awesome. It dissolves the spider droppings and most other embedded dirt with a normal washing. It's cheap, so that's the way I will go. Of course, each decides for himself and some like the pressue washer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook