SailNet Community - View Single Post - Perfect Day for New Owners on an Old Boat
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Perfect Day for New Owners on an Old Boat

I enjoyed the opportunity to assit new owners with the moving of an older Oday 37 from South River, south of Annapolis, to Middle River, north of Baltimore today. We left at 7am with the former owner's caution to keep the rpm's low to avoid overheating the raw water cooled engine and opened the sails to dump a couple of small wasps nests. We had questionable battery charging and concerns about growth on the prop, but a nice breeze out of the south and an early clearing around Thomas Point light. The breeze picked up from the south with a favorable current and we made hull speed all the way up to Hart Miller Island alternating wing-and-wing to between 15 and 20 off the quarter. At one time we had a fairly harsh gybe that popped some of the last remaining dirt and dust off the long unused sails and sheets. This gybe also broke half a dozen old UV damaged plastic mainsail luff slides free from the mast, but we were now surfing three foot waves past the east side of Hart Miller Island. We arrived a Frog Mortar Creek three hours before our expected time and when attempting an engine start momentarily had no turn over of the engine, but it came to life with a second attempt. In the slip we tied up and stripped the sails and windage for Irene's potential this weekend. It was one of those wonderful days when so many things could have gone wrong, but everrything came out perfect. Forty years ago I took a similar first cruise and with the help of an older sailor my wife and I manged to move our new "old" boat to our first dock from Annapolis down to the Patuxent. Today I was able to do the same thing as an older sailor for a pair of new owners that already know far more than we did in 1971. A perfect day for me, Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook