SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hurricane Irene advice
View Single Post
post #43 of Old 08-24-2011
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,111
Thanks: 1
Thanked 227 Times in 187 Posts
Rep Power: 7
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
Wedding's going to have to go forward without me. Big dilemma today -- do I run for my winter storage yard in Narragansett Bay to be hauled or to I stay put, hunker down and build redundancy in the mooring? Maine was quickly crossed off the list as Irene is headed there after it strikes here.


And if you think I have a problem..... I got an email from a former shipmate who arrived yesterday in Newport from the high Arctic on a 112 ft Italian registered sailboat that turned back from a NW Passage attempt. They came to Newport to be hauled for a repair. Apparently, they're not sure they can be hauled in the present circumstances and there are very few large boat moorings in Newport. The owner is in Milan and is screaming at the professional skipper to "do something" -- "go somehwere"!

Anyone have any suggestions for our foreign visitors? Mad dash to Bermuda?
Well, this is easy for me to say, of course...

If I were you, I'd head for Maine...

If I were on The Italian Job, I'm make a mad dash for NY Harbor, and get as far up the Hudson as possible...

Are there any possibilities for you over in the Boston area? Sure might be nice to put that much landmass between you and a possible landfall as forecast now... I think you're wise to stay north of the canal, however, I wouldn't be running towards Buzzards Bay/Rhode Island Sound at this point...

Certainly sounds like you'll be well prepared, however - best of luck to you...
JonEisberg is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome