SailNet Community - View Single Post - Linux and other adventures into the unknown.
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Linux and other adventures into the unknown.

For a somewhat mediocre puter such as I this is most certainly into the unknown.

Last weekend we had the great pleasure of welcoming young BenT aka BentSailor on board the Womboat. May I say that he is a thoroughly personable young chap who brings along beer and lively conversation. He's welcome to come back anytime. Sorry about the coffee B.

Anywho .... the subject of Linux came up along with a notebook I have that runs Windows Vista. I really did goof there. Could have bought the thing downgraded (some effing downgrade) with XP but I went Vista. What a load of garbage. Within six months it had started rejecting updates and stubbonly refuses to install any update going back 18 months or so.

Ergo I am about to either re format the thing and load Windows 7 or should I be thinking Linux ? Should I ?

I guess the big question for me would be what can't Linux do ? For example I know I can run Firefox and presumably Thunderbird on Linux but how about listening to music and watching movies ? Is it possible to run CMAP on Linux ?

Maybe any of you who have some Linux experience might like to giv me your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Andrew the Fuzzball

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook